Bonnyrigg Rose Report: BSC Glasgow Stumble & Fall Out of South Challenge Cup

Bonnyrigg Rose made the trip from Midlothian to Clacks and left the Indodrill with a place in the next round of the South Challenge Cup

The only change from the BSC squad who thumped Vale of Leithen 4-0 a fortnight ago was Joe Irvine coming in to replace the injured Robbie Duncan on the wing.

The opening fifteen minutes showcased a few attempts from both sides including a Bonnyrigg header from Keiran McGachie header that was just over the bar, as well as another McGachie chance that was halted in its tracks thanks to a brilliant tackle from skipper Ross Smith proving our back line could be just as menacing as their attack.

However, there was only so much our defence could do as Rose grabbed two goals in three minutes. 20 minutes in, a bit of mix up between John Mitchell and Ross Sinclair, allowed McGachie, who is in tremendous form at the moment, to capitalise on the error and tap it into the net. The second goal came from the head of Dean Hoskins who managed to just get the ball over the head of Sinclair.

Not long after, Ross Smith put himself in the referee’s book after bringing down McGachie outside the box. Luckily, the free kick couldn’t be converted. BSC attempted a counter attack which built up to a Martin Grehan effort that almost powered past Michael Andrews. The rebound fell to Jamie Mills; but he couldn’t connect at the right point. The only other attempt from the home side came from a trademark Hughes free kick which went inches over the crossbar.


Usually, BSC would be the ones to come flying out the gate, however, Bonnyrigg seemed to be the experts and dominated the first twenty minutes. To combat this, Tom Orr came on to replace Davie Winters.

If anyone looked to be the man to spark a BSC comeback, it was The Flash – Jamie Mills – as he made it look easy to get past his men on the wing and into the box, however there was no yellow shirt on the receiving end. Minutes later, you would’ve sworn Bonnyrigg had guaranteed it when Jonny Stewart’s strike went post to post, sliding across the line on the way.

Another BSC man got a booking in Tom Orr who went into a harsh challenge with Dean Brett and it was a challenge that had the traveling Rose support shouting for a red. With only eight minutes remaining, BSC grabbed a consolation goal through Declan Hughes who made the most of a brilliant pass from Jamie Mills who connected sweetly with a low shot that slid under Andrews.

Unfortunately, the goal never frightened the away team in any form as only two minutes later, they secured their victory when Ewan Moyes found the back of the net from close range.