Cumbernauld Colts Report: BSC Glasgow Make History at Broadwood

BSC Glasgow left Broadwood in good spirits after dominating an in-form Cumbernauld Colts to make it through to the Third Round of the Scottish Cup for the first time in their history.

There were minor changes to the squad that smashed seven past Threave Rovers last weekend; Jamie Mills returned to fire up and down the wing, replacing Joe Irvine and Carlo Pignatiello slotted back into midfield in place of Spencer Brown.

The game got off to a decent start for BSC who dominated the first five minutes. Ross Smith and John Mitchell avoided early conversations with the official when both seemingly went for the same tackle on Sean Brown which could’ve been nasty if their timing had been worse. Robbie Duncan began what was to be a great game for him, with a shot from just outside the box which unfortunately went straight into the gloves of Jordan Pettigrew.

Within the first twenty minutes, it was apparent that the referee didn’t have much interest in playing the advantage rule. Although he did give a free kick after Jeff Fergus put in an awful challenge on Declan Hughes, who couldn’t manage to curl the kick over the wall.

Hitting the half hour mark, the travelling band of BSC fans started to feel nervy as Colts began to break through the defence and reach the box. Luckily for BSC though Jamie Mills, The Flash, won every challenge and one-on-one that came his way. Half time was fast approaching when the Cumbernauld faithful screamed Broadwood down with a handball appeal when it appeared to bounce off Hughes’ arm in the box.

Two minutes before the whistle, Colts’ Jordan Marshall smacked the crossbar from 40 yards out. BSC Glasgow, however put any worry in that small section to bed when Martin Grehan got the ball down in the box to Hughes who went for tap in then immediately capitalised on Pettigrew’s loose catch by getting a toe to it at the last second.


Both teams came flying out the gate determined to secure the coveted spot in the Third Round, although it was Colts who grabbed the first chance. A perfect corner flew into the box following a great angled header towards goal and Stephen Barr made one of the saves of the tournament so far, showcasing his reflexes to claw it away from point blank range.

The counterattack was immediate – a cross from David Verlaque landed at the feet of Davie Winters who went for a straight shot which Pettigrew palmed away, only into the path of Carlo Pignatiello who smashed it so hard into the net, even an attempted block on the line proved futile.

The Broadwood fans were in uproar an hour in when a hard tackle from John Mitchell only received a booking. The official balanced things out for both sets of fans a few minutes later when Grehan went down in the box under a push from Scott Davidson. Grehan received a talking to from the official for having the temerity to get fouled.

Jangling nerves in the BSC support seemed justified five minutes later as Colts pulled one back following a great cross that found Fraser Team in the middle. So far so similar to our first match of the season at the Indodrill a couple of weeks ago. The manager brought off Winters and then Martin Grehan with Tom Orr and Ryan McStay taking their places.

Stephen Barr continued his fantastic afternoon with a few great punches from impressive crosses, that coupled with a Verlaque block and clearance kept BSC ahead.

In the 82nd minute, ecstasy struck.

Carlo ran into the box and slipped a ball through to Robbie Duncan who capitalised on a mix up between Colts keeper and defence and tapped it into the net at the back post. To settle one of the best afternoons in the club’s history, Carlo went for another shot in the 85th minute which was palmed away by Pettigrew into the path of the onrushing  Tom Orr to tap in the rebound and secure BSC Glasgow’s place in the Third Round of the William Hill Scottish Cup.