Late heartbreak at New Central Park as BSC Glasgow saw the opportunity to hand Kelty Hearts their first home defeat of the season slip through their fingers thanks to a last minute equaliser. 

The first half immediately set the tone for a true 50/50 game. Early on, Nathan Austin used the wind to his favour and hit a curling strike from an awkward angle that smashed off the crossbar.

And then the first goal came – in the 13th minute, a corner landed at the feet of Thomas Collins, he carefully picked out an unmarked Ross McMillan who had plenty of time to pick his spot and slip the ball into the bottom corner.

Less than ten minutes later, Kelty found their equaliser and I don’t think many BSC defenders knew how it managed to find the back of the net. A free kick by Michael Tidser somehow bounced over the wall and looked to be going wide but it sneaked by Ryan Marshall at his near post.

The game continued with neither side able to dominate possession and a few opportunities fashioned for BSC. We were finally rewarded and able to take the lead once more in the 37th minute. Similar to the first goal, Lewis Bell made a good run up the channel and picked out Thomas Collins in the box who had somehow evaded the Kelty back line. A quick high strike into the top corner allowed BSC Glasgow to go into the break with the advantage.


If you thought the first half was tense and tetchy, it had nothing on the second.  Both defences worked hard to prevent any of the respective strikers to achieve a solid breakthrough.  The biggest chance came for BSC Glasgow just before the hour mark – Michael Anderson headed the ball into the box finding another unmarked Thomas Collins who went for a volley. Unfortunately, his strike went well over.

Only two minutes later and a chance really came for BSC to put the game to bed. Much like the penalty decision from Friday night’s South Challenge Cup tie. Danny Ashe tackled Thomas Orr in the box and the referee immediately pointed to the spot causing absolute uproar across the Kelty stands. Thomas Collins stepped up and put it wide of Ross Sinclair’s post.

The drama continued when Kelty hit the bar three consecutive times and it looked as if the referee had awarded a penalty in amongst the madness. Somehow, after conversing with the linesman, it was apparently a back pass and the home side were deemed only worthy of an indirect free kick in the box. Danny Ashe smashed it straight into the wall and yellow shirts clambered to clear it for a corner.

A few bookings came BSC’s way as the frustration set in – Jamie Hamilton and Declan Hughes found their name in the book meanwhile Martin Grehan came on to replace Thomas Orr. As the last ten minutes settled in, it was nail-biting stuff. All BSC Glasgow had to do was see is out and they would hand the league leaders only their second league defeat of the season as well as their first home loss.

Unfortunately, it wasn’t to be.

In the last seconds of the game, a mad stramash in the box saw every Kelty shirt go for a strike while BSC struggled to defend. Cammy Russell found the back of the net allowing Kelty fans to celebrate the draw wildly.

FULL TIME | Kelty Hearts 2-2 BSC Glasgow


Date Time League Season
10th March 2020 7:45 pm Lowland League 2019/20


Kelty Hearts2
BSC Glasgow2

Kelty Hearts

Goals Assists Yellows Reds


New Central Park