It was a superb and convincing win against an in-form East Stirlingshire as a resolute and clinical BSC Glasgow performance secured a crucial victory.

by Martin Fleming

Declan Hughes captained the side with Andy Geggan and Jamie McCormack suspended. Ryan Tierney returned from injury with a place on the bench.

The opening ten minutes were pure Shire – slick passing meant BSC struggled to gain much possession forcing them into defensive mode early on. A few fouls allowed East Stirlingshire to try their luck from set pieces but BSC continued to clear everything that strayed into the box.

Against the run of play, BSC broke the deadlock in the 15th minute – a magical no look pass from Jamie Hamilton found Jamie Mills with space on the left wing. He hit a low ball into the box, picking out an unmarked Andy Monk who slotted it into the back of the net.

The lead looked like it was going to be short-lived when a penalty was awarded to East Stirlingshire after Jamie Glasgow handled the ball in the box. Nicky Low stepped up to take it, but a great save from David Wilson allowed BSC to remain 1-0 up.

BSC enjoyed a brief spell of possession which was rare in the first half – a good run from Darren Christie on the counter attack allowed him to cut back to Jamie Hamilton whose impressive shot from just outside the box forced a good save from Ross Connelly.

Only a minute later, Darren Christie was on the run again as Andy Monk held the ball up beautifully under pressure from three Shire defenders. and Christie bounded into the box firing home a fantastic strike.

Just as the lead seemed surreal at it was, Declan Fitzpatrick was pulled down in the box by Adam Murray and the referee immediately pointed to the spot. Captain Hughes stepped up and despite Connelly guessing correctly, the shot was too powerful and BSC went in at the break 3-0 up.


A triple sub from East Stirlingshire, including the removal of both of their central defenders, showed they had every intention of getting back into the game. This included bringing on their top scorer Andy Rodgers… to play centre back… or maybe quarterback would be a better way of putting it.

Immediately, it was all Shire and only five minutes into the second half, they grabbed a goal back when Gregg Wylde’s cross found the head of Reis Peggie who was unmarked in the box. The midfielder’s header beat a wrong-footed David Wilson

Suddenly a resurgent East Stirlingshire had their tails up and were looking to bring it back to a one goal advantage, when all of a sudden Darren Christie secured himself a brace and put BSC back into a three-goal lead. Andy Monk held up the ball beautifully, streaking away from oncoming Shire ‘defenders’ and picked out an onrushing Christie who fired the ball under Connelly.

The match seemed to shift from the first half with BSC now enjoying the majority of possession. A few chances came Shire’s way but they were unable to fashion anything strong enough to get them back in the game. Andy Monk departed the pitch after another fantastic performance, making way for Lewis Bell.

The home side successfully took the sting out the game for a period of time, and with frustration setting in for the East Stirlingshire players who gave a way a number of petulant fouls. Chances continued to come for BSC however – a corner from Declan Hughes found Fitzpatrick with a near-open goal but the centre-back was just too close to the goal to convert.

In the 71st minute, BSC killed off any hope East Stirlingshire had of staging a famous comeback. From out of nowhere, a powerful flick on header from Michael Anderson found Jamie Glasgow in the box who nodded home giving Connelly and his defence no chance.

Just before the final whistle, Andy Rodgers attempted an ambitious effort from the half way line to grab a consolation but it was nothing to worry David Wilson.



Date Time League Season
25th November 2020 7:45 pm Lowland League 2020/21


BSC Glasgow5
East Stirlingshire1

East Stirlingshire

Goals Assists Yellows Reds


The Indodrill Stadium
A907, Alloa FK10 1SA, UK