Just when you thought it couldn’t get any better. Just when you thought East Fife would be the game of the season, BSC Glasgow go and put three past East Kilbride on their own turf to make history and cement a place in the last sixteen of the Scottish Cup! (I never realised how unbelievable that sounded until I typed it but trust me, it’s true!)

by Martin Fleming

For the starting eleven in this massive game, Ross Smith returned from injury and started in his usual centre-back position, while Martin Grehan came into the side and Robbie McNab began on the bench.

Any nerves were settled early as it took only 48 seconds for BSC Glasgow to find the back of the net and send the significant away support into uproar – a flick on from Michael Anderson found Thomas Collins who just beat the Kilby defenders and smashed home a beautiful low strike into the bottom corner. It was a dream start putting BSC 1-0 up as early as could be.

Thomas Collins smashes BSC into the lead inside the first minute. [Photo | Cammy Richardson]

The men in yellow and blue were adamant this game could be killed off early as they created chance after chance – Michael Anderson managed to get onto a near-perfect volley but EK’s Matt McGinley was able to palm the effort away.

In only the 17th minute, BSC Glasgow stunned K-Park and doubled their lead. Declan Hughes’ free kick into the box found the head of Jamie McCormack who leaped above all the East Kilbride shirts and thundered in a header over Matt McGinley making it 2-0 before the twenty minute mark.

Both sides were consistently attacking with promise although it was BSC who were making more of their opportunities. A set piece right from the training ground almost saw our third of the afternoon – a short corner between Declan Hughes and Jamie Hamilton found Thomas Orr on the edge of the box who went for a powerful low strike but it whistled just wide of the post.

Jamie McCormack makes it two with a powerful header. [Photo | Cammy Richardson]

As the end of the first half approached, East Kilbride were forced to really defend to prevent any other misfortune. Another Declan Hughes corner caused a confusing stramash in the box. With every BSC shirt attempting to fire in the loose ball that bounced inches from the line, only a scissor-kick from an East Kilbride player could halt the panic.

Just before the 40th minute, the hopes of a place in the last sixteen of the Scottish Cup were officially sky-high. On the edge of the box, Martin Grehan attempted to flick the ball further in only for it to be headed away by Craig Reid. Unfortunately for Reid, he headed it straight back into Grehan’s path and he sliced home a fantastic curling strike with his left foot to put BSC Glasgow 3-0 up going into half-time.


The second half commenced with a double EK substitution as they hoped to begin the miraculous fight back. K-Park slowly began to simmer down as the game became sluggish in the midfield due to East Kilbride owning the majority of possession but failing to really threaten the BSC defence.

Their biggest opportunity came in the 60th minute – Craig Malcolm’s strike smashed off the crossbar and bounced on the line with many East Kilbride players looking for a goal. The referee and linesman gave nothing.

Just after Robbie McNab replaced Ross Smith, Ryan Marshall was really called into action. A rocket from Kieran McGrath forced our man between the sticks to tip it over and fight for the clean sheet. Another huge opportunity came Kilby’s way when Daryl Healy put a powerful cross into the box that could’ve been on a plate for an onrushing East Kilbride attacker; however the ball hit Craig Malcolm in the face and could only go out for a goal-kick.

In the closing twenty minutes, Dave McKay replaced Jamie Hamilton and East Kilbride continued to fight for a consolation. Kieran McGrath gained himself a one-on-one with Ryan Marshall but his shot went wide. The consolation finally came for EK when Michael Anderson’s late tackle gifted them a penalty. Craig Malcolm converted by slotting the ball into the top left.

In the dying embers, BSC Glasgow went for one more that could really kill the game, unfortunately it wasn’t to be and the two goal advantage would be deemed enough to secure a place in the last sixteen of the Scottish Cup.


Please, allow me to repeat just in case it hasn’t sunk in yet because it certainly hasn’t for me. There are 42 teams in the SPFL – only fifteen of them are in the next round and that final place is reserved for BSC GLASGOW! We’ll see you in the next round!



Date Time League Season
18th January 2020 3:00 pm William Hill Scottish Cup 2019/20


East Kilbride1
BSC Glasgow3

East Kilbride

Goals Assists Yellows Reds


K Park