Forfar Athletic Report: BSC Glasgow Put Out By Late Goals

Despite Forfar dominating large swathes of the game, BSC Glasgow held the League One side until the 75th minute in our first ever Scottish Cup Third Round match.

There were a few changes to the side which beat Spartans the previous weekend; Ryan Marshall made his return in goals after almost three months out, John Mitchell replaced David Verlaque, Davie Winters also started, replacing (although not positionally) Robbie McNab who was cup tied having already played in the competition with East Stirlingshire.

The first act of our first ever Third Round match was for the referee to immediately stop play to offer a warning to a Forfar fan who had brought their own whistle to the match. After being warned that another toot would see them put oot – we were on our way.

Forfar controlled much of the opening fifteen minutes. Their biggest opportunity came when Lewis Moore flew through most of the back line clean through on goal when Jamie Mills came out of nowhere to get the ball to Marshall. Only a minute later, Forfar’s Mark Hill went one-on-one with Marsh who made a fantastic low save. The rebound looked sure to be the opening goal but was fired over the crossbar by Dylan Easton.

The referee didn’t want to give anything BSC’s way as Davie Winters picked up a booking despite Forfar getting away with an identical tackle minutes earlier. On the half-hour mark, Forfar found the back of the net thanks to the head of Michael Travis following a corner from Easton. Much to the chagrin of the home support (and the relief of the travelling band of BSC Glasgow fans) the referee ruled the goal out for a foul.

Just before half-time BSC proved how much of a force they could be when some brilliant passing between Pignatiello, Winters and Ballantyne landed with the Skipper, Ross McMillan who put in a cross to Tom Orr. The ball fell to Declan Hughes whose shot was just wide of the post.


Just after the half-time whistle, we dared to dream when Declan Hughes put a free kick in and Martin Grehan came inches from putting in a perfectly timed header, however he was called offside. Shortly after, Cammy Ballantyne looked to be suffering from a knock and was replaced by Joe Irvine.

Jamie Mills was everywhere up and down the left flank and when Forfar got the ball past Marshall, with the opening goal a certainty, the left back appeared to clear the ball off the line and out for a corner.

It was obvious BSC were not going to give up the fight. Tom Orr managed to fight through into the box and took on Darren Whyte, however just when he looked to have a one-on-one with the keeper, the defender picked himself up and cleared the ball to prevent Orr grabbing a shot.

Unfortunately, the 75th minute came and Lewis Moore put a cross in to the man-in-form, John Baird who caught the ball beautifully to slot it right down the middle into the net.

Tam Orr came off the pitch for youngster, Mitchell Taylor, who was not only making his Scottish Cup debut, but scored a hat-trick the night before for our U20s side. With only five minutes to go, Forfar were able to seal the victory when John Baird picked out a perfect pass into the box for Mark Hill who was able to slot the ball home into the bottom right corner.

In the final minutes, Ross McMillan went up front, which really didn’t come as a surprise due to his ability to header it home when we really need it. John Baird smacked the post and even on the rebound, Forfar were desperate for a third, however were denied thanks to another fantastic save from Marshall.