Late Heartbreak As Colts Snatch Victory

A refreshed Cumbernauld Colts capitalised on a leggy performance from BSC Glasgow to grab victory with the last kick of the ball at a sun-drenched Broadwood on Friday evening. 

The starting eleven for BSC was identical to the side that took the win over Spartans on Tuesday night. The only changes were on the bench with Ricky Miller dropping out and Michael Anderson absent due to illness. 

Tom Orr looks to outdo former BSC man Arni Bembo (Photo: Cammy Richardson)

The opening twenty minutes saw both teams fail to capitalise on fantastic chances; a good cross for Colts set up Fraser Team but a heavy first touch put the shot over the bar. A BSC free kick landed almost at the feet of Tom Orr but Colts keeper Jonathan Grier scrambled the ball clear. 

In the 24th minute, it looked to be a certain goal for the Cumbernauld side as a lovely lofted shot from outside the box bounced off the bar and then a strike from the rebound smacked off the post before the ball fell for Marty Wright who struck at Stephen Barr who made a great save to keep the sides even. 

The best BSC chances came thanks to the head of Martin Grehan – a great cross from Jamie Hamilton gave the forward an attempt but Jonathan Grier saved easily. A minute later, an almost carbon copy but this time, Grehan caught Grier off balance but the keeper made a fantastic last ditch save to tip the ball away. 

The only other first half news would come in the form of an alarm that went off repeatedly in one of the Broadwood stands. There was no panic though and not much acknowledgement as Friday Night Football is, and always will be, more important than the threat of injury or death. 


After the restart, it was definitely BSC who looked most likely to score and surprisingly more energetic, y’know, considering they should be knackered. 

Centre back on centre back as Ross Smith outpaces Colts’ Greg Pascazio. (Photo: Cammy Richardson)

Jamie Hamilton was able to make the most of a mix-up at the back with Colts defence and hit a fantastic strike but Grier made an even better save. The rebound fell to Declan Hughes but his shot was blocked. 

The chances kept on coming for the away side but no one really took the opportunities that fell their way. Grehan toed a great ball to Tom Orr with the striker hitting a low shot, but the ball went inches by the post. Successive corners and better chances then followed; another Grehan header was flapped away by Grier and cleared by a few defenders before the next corner fell perfectly in the box for a BSC man just to take a strike at it but unfortunately no feet were quick enough. 

As frustration was beginning to set in, Stephen Barr made another wonder save when he denied Marty Wright – which on reflection probably just made the Colts frontman angry. Ross Lindsay made way for Thomas Collins just before the deadlock was finally broken. 

Colts took advantage of a BSC player going down with an injury and despite Barr’s best attempt to get down quick and smother the ball; a pass was made to Fraser Team who was able to dispatch the ball despite Ross Smith’s best efforts to block it on the line. 

It felt like it was going to be one of those nights for BSC as opportunity after opportunity went begging. That was until one a low cross from Jamie Hamilton swept across the face of goal, avoiding repeated Colts clearance attempts, to Jamie McCormack who turned it in at the far post for the equaliser. 

Jamie McCormack turns in the cross at the far post. (Photo: Cammy Richardson)

Robbie Duncan came off the bench for Jordan Marshall just before Colts’ Craig Holmes was forced off after picking up a nasty injury. 

BSC’s hoodoo in front of the Colts goal wasn’t broken by the equaliser and when some good footwork from Jamie Mills and Tom Orr allowed a lay off to Thomas Collins, his strike was on target but blocked by Grier. 

Just when you thought that surely the ball had to find the back of the net, physics was defied when a great cross from McCormack found the head of Orr close to goal but the ball took a deflection and span away. 

With just seconds left in the match, BSC conceded a free kick and allowed Colts one last cross into the box. Marty Wright managed to control the ball and smack it beyond Barr, clinching the win for Colts.