League: TheSoccerShop Challenge Cup

BSC Glasgow vs East Kilbride


Dalkeith Thistle vs BSC Glasgow

BSC Glasgow returned to winning ways with a huge victory over East of Scotland League side, Dalkeith Thistle to progress into the next round of The SoccerShop South Challenge Cup.

Straight off the bat, a much-changed BSC struggled to find their feet on an unusual surface and both teams shared possession in the opening ten minutes. However, it didn’t take long for the chances to come in droves and the men in yellow were there to capitalise.

Despite not playing since the opening game of the season due to injury, Andy Monk returned in style with a hat trick in ten minutes! In the 13th minute, a header from Declan Fitzpatrick allowed Monk to smash a half volley into the back of the net from ten yards out.

Nine minutes later, a free-kick from Andy Geggan allowed Jamie Hamilton a shot on goal but Dalkeith keeper Shea Dowie parried the initial effort allowing Monk to get on the rebound and blast in once again. Only a minute passed and Monk found his third – with an assist from Ross Lyon, Monk’s original shot was well saved by Dowie but Monk recovered and hit home from a tight angle cementing a fantastic return to the team.

BSC continued to control the game at King’s Park and it began to show, that this was the kind of game the players needed after last week’s loss. In the 35th minute it was goal number four – a fantastic ball from Craig McCracken picked out Ross Lindsay on the left flank, a good cross in allowed Ross Lyon to put it away and add another goal to an already impressive tally.

Only five minutes passed before Andy Geggan decided he wanted a goal and let’s be honest, when that happens, you let him. A cross was cleared, but only into the path of Geggan who fired a low powerful strike past Shea Dowie to put BSC into a 5-0 lead at half-time.

Unfortunately, Alfie Agyeman pulled up after the fifth goal and hobbled back to the centre circle with Jamie Glasgow replacing him just before the whistle.


The game fizzled out just after the break with BSC players content and Dalkeith players unable to break through the BSC defence. A triple substitution just before the hour mark saw Andy Monk, Jamie Mills and Ross Lyon make way for Michael Anderson, Jamie Ballantyne and Darren Christie.

Frustration was definitely seeping in for Thistle players as shown through many scrappy challenges including an unnecessarily hard tackle on Christie and Michael Anderson effectively being wrestled to the ground.

The final goal of the game came in the 67th minute – another close ranger after a corner, Ross Lindsay took advantage of a fumble by Shea Dowie and smashed it in. 6-0 to BSC Glasgow!

Just before full time, Darren Christie seemed destined for a goal when he shook off every defender on his tail and into the box but his effort could only smash the side netting.



BSC Glasgow vs Kelty Hearts

BSC Glasgow advance on Penalties

It was the first of two fixtures against Kelty Hearts this week at the Indodrill and, against the odds, BSC Glasgow walked away with a place in the South Challenge Cup semi-final.

Lewis Bell came in to the starting eleven replacing Jordan Marshall while Martin Grehan and Michael Anderson returned following minor injuries.

It certainly was a game of two halves as BSC seemed to control the game early on. A chance came for Thomas Orr only four minutes in when he almost capitalised on a defensive mix-up from the Kelty defence – striking on the edge of the box and forcing former BSC keeper Ross Sinclair into action. It went just wide of the post. Only minutes later, that man Ross Smith goes for a signature volley after a corner from Declan Hughes failed to be cleared by the Hearts defence. Ross Sinclair just barely managed to palm it away for a corner.

The perfect start continued as in the 11th minute, BSC Glasgow went ahead. Evan Galasso attempted a strike on the edge of the box which ricocheted off a Kelty shirt and landed perfectly for Robbie McNab in front of Ross Sinclair. His initial shot was saved but only for the ball to fall back to his feet and strike it home.

The rest of the first half went real 50/50 as neither side could take advantage of a real opportunity. Kelty’s biggest chance came from a Scott Linton free kick that was struck well but not well enough as Ryan Marshall was able to gather comfortably.

There was almost a second for BSC just before the break – Jamie Hamilton’s excellent footwork followed by a lovely feint gave him plenty of space to get away a low shot forcing Ross Sinclair to parry away and quickly clear before Evan Galasso could get onto the rebound.


As the second half commenced, it was Kelty Hearts who came out on the front foot immediately taking control of possession. Dylan Easton toyed with the BSC defence wriggling through and firing a strike at Ryan Marshall who done well to get down and block it. To try and help put the game to bed; Evan Galasso made way for Martin Grehan.

An equaliser looked certain when Dylan Easton broke through into the box once again and got a close range shot, however, Declan Hughes’ fantastic block prevented the forward from getting anywhere near the net.

A few minutes later, a similar chance for Kelty, only this time there was no defender to block the shot forcing Ryan Marshall to make one of the saves of the season to deny Ross Philip from point blank range.

Barry Ferguson’s men continued dominating the second half as Jamie McCormack gained himself a booking after a foul on Dylan Easton while Michael Anderson came off the bench replacing Jamie Hamilton.

A few minor chances came BSC’s way but the pressure was beginning to show as Kelty’s counterattacks seemed more dangerous than ever. With only five minutes remaining, the inevitable occurred. Jamie McCormack made what many thought was a perfect tackle on Ross Philip in the box winning the ball.

However, the referee deemed otherwise and not only pointed to the spot but showed a second yellow to McCormack reducing BSC Glasgow to ten men for the remainder. Scott Linton stepped up and converted the penalty to all but confirm extra time. In the closing moments of regular time, Thomas Reilly drove a good effort from outside the box but it sailed just over giving BSC a lifeline.


It was nerve wracking stuff for any BSC fan in the Indodrill during extra time as once again; Kelty Hearts dominated possession and seemed destined to grab a late winner. Sean McKirdy had almost cemented it after heading into an empty net but the linesman had already deemed the ball out of the play. Fresh legs were brought on with Ross Lindsay and Jordan Marshall replacing Robbie McNab and Thomas Orr, respectively.

As extra time came to a close, BSC were forced to play for penalties as they couldn’t get much of a chance to get anywhere near Kelty’s defence.

With penalties confirmed, the Indodrill held their breath hoping to win the lottery – Thomas Collins, Declan Hughes, Ross Lindsay, Martin Grehan and Lewis Bell  all converted the first five penalties with Kelty’s Thomas Reilly, Danny Ashe, Ross Philip, Scott Linton and Dylan Easton all repeating the feat.

It came down to sudden death and Captain Ross Smith stepped up to the plate and continued to find the back of the net. Chris Humphrey went for Kelty and Ryan Marshall got down well to give BSC Glasgow the victory and a place in the South Challenge Cup semi-final!




BSC Glasgow vs Preston Athletic

BSC Glasgow secured a place in the South Challenge Cup quarter-final after putting six past Preston Athletic. There were a few changes to the side that defeated Gretna in the league last time out; Martin Grehan, Marc Smith, Jordan Marshall, Robbie McNab and Shaun Bowers all came into the starting eleven.

Immediately off the bat, it looked like it could be a game for the home side to really sink their teeth in and grab a fair few goals. Only three minutes in, Jamie Mills put in a lovely floating cross that forced Preston keeper Jack Findlay to attempt to tip it over but could only palm it upwards and the ball bounced on the line before being cleared by a defender. 

Thomas Collins’ excellent night began in earnest when a perfectly timed header allowed Martin Grehan a one-on-one with Findlay. His attempted lob went just over. It took 24 minutes for our first goal to come and it was thanks to Thomas Collins – after getting onto a loose header from Grehan, he smashed the ball over Findlay from just outside the six-yard box. 

Only four minutes passed before Collins secured his brace – a fantastic long ball from Jamie Mills landed beautifully for the forward to cheekily lob the ball well over Findlay and into the back of the net. 

The third goal which came after only another four minutes could be a contender for goal of the season. Thomas Collins’ cross found captain Ross Smith in the box and the defender hit a beautiful first-time side-foot volley into the top corner. 

Unfortunately, the clean sheet only lasted until the 38th minute when Preston Athletic scored a tremendous goal themselves – in similar fashion, JohnnyEdmond hit home a great volley after getting on the right end of a cross. 


After the break, it was clear BSC weren’t finished and despite the final score, the second half was punctuated only by the goals. 

In the 59th minute, Michael Anderson kept control of the ball from a Martin Grehan cross and converted with a first-time strike high into the goal to secure a three-goal advantage. 

Jordan Northcott came off the bench replacing Marc Smith and immediately made an impact. Not long after Jack Findlay made two good saves to prevent Martin Grehan getting his name on the scoresheet, Northcott capitalised on a poor clearance by the Preston defence and stuck a header in to put another passed Findlay. 

The final goal came with only three minutes to go and Martin Grehan finally got his thanks to a horrendous blunder from Jack Findlay. A Declan Hughes corner was deemed too much for the goalkeeper who fumbled at what should’ve been an easy save allowing Grehan to arrive at the back post and tap it in. 


MAN OF THE MATCH (in association with Laser Amore) | Thomas Collins


BSC Glasgow vs Gala Fairydean Rovers

by Martin Fleming

There were a fair few changes to the BSC side that put three past Gala Fairydean Rovers last weekend at Netherdale; firstly, Stephen Barr started between the sticks with Ryan Marshall dropping out, Shaun Bowers replaced Jamie McCormack, Jamie Mills returned to the starting eleven after injury, Robbie McNab, Michael Anderson and Thomas Collins began on the bench with Martin Grehan and Ross Lindsay in the starting line-up.

Right from the start, it was clear Gala Fairydean Rovers had worked on their errors from last weeks league clash. Mendes Yafa was able to pick out Phil Addison in the box only 3 minutes in and his header clipped off the upright.

Martin Grehan was the first one to find the back of the net on the 9th minute, however the linesman raised the flag. Thomas Orr saw the first legitimate chance for the home side when he grabbed a ball from Jamie Mills and found himself one-on-one with Fraser Morton but his strike went straight at the Gala keeper.

The Galashiels men were forced to make an early substitution when Ryan Mayer went down after a challenge from Lewis Bell. Kieran Ainslie replaced him. Rovers continued to slightly dominate the early stages and saw their efforts prevail on the 24th minute – Niall Kelly was able to capitalise on an opportunity and put the ball beyond Stephen Barr to break the deadlock.

Not long before the break, Dave McKay laid off Tom Orr who was able to wriggle through defence and get a fantastic shot away. An even better save from Fraser Morton only gifted BSC a corner.

A bit of luck fell BSC’s way from the resultant corner – somehow, Kieran Ainslie headed the ball into his own net giving Stephen Swift’s men the equaliser.

Ainslie found himself in the referees book only a minute after along side Tom Orr – Ainslie for pulling back the forward while Orr received the booking for the retaliation.


A half time substitution saw Jamie McCormack take the place of Shaun Bowers. McCormack almost found BSC’s second after only being on the pitch for 9 minutes when Tom Orr was able to pick him out in the box, however his header went just over the crossbar.

Thomas Collins came on the pitch to replace Ross Lindsay just minutes before the men in yellow were able to take the lead. Tom Orr went for a powerful strike at an awkward angle which forced Fraser Morton to palm away, but the ball fell straight into the path of Dave McKay who reacted quickly and fired the ball into the top right corner.

Jamie McCormack quickly found himself a yellow card after a collision with Jacob Campbell while Jamie Hamilton made way for Michael Anderson.

Lewis Bell done well to control the ball down the left flank and put a lovely ball into the box. Thomas Collins rose for the header before Martin Grehan but it went well wide. Bell also went into the book shortly after for a late challenge.

Fraser Morton prevented his side from conceding another goal, the Gala man between the sticks made a tremendous save when Grehan put a good header towards the net but he was able to punch it away for a corner.

Tom Orr went searching for a goal and during a run into the box, went down under the pressure of Kieran Ainslie. The referee deemed his actions as simulation and gave Orr his second yellow of the game forcing the home side down to ten men.

In the closing moments, Lewis Bell found himself in a one-on-one with Morton and just when it seemed to be overplayed, Bell put the ball through Morton’s legs and put the game to bed sealing BSC Glasgow’s place in the next round of the South Challenge Cup.