Threave Rovers Report: BSC Thrash Threave & Progress to Next Round

BSC Glasgow ruled over the 90 minutes at The Indodrill with a perfect 7-1 victory over Threave Rovers.

There were numerous changes to the squad from last weekend’s Colts game; Stephen Barr started between the sticks replacing Ross Sinclair who was away with Scotland U18s, Cameron Ballantyne made his debut for the club after signing a loan deal from St Johnstone until January while Davie Winters, Robbie Duncan, Spencer Brown and Carlo Pignatiello started in the attack.

Right away, it was clear to those in the Indodrill that this was going to be a Non-League Day to remember for BSC Glasgow supporters. Only five minutes in, Robbie Duncan made a brilliant run up the flank and into the 6-yard box only to square it through to David Winters for a nice wee tap in to make it 1-0.

BSC were dominant and there were chances galore in the opening half hour with many coming from picture perfect set ups from Dec Hughes and new kid on the block, Cameron Ballantyne. Hughes emulated Robbie Duncan’s run from the first goal with a sprint to the far post and made for a cross, however the ball deflected off Threave’s Andy Forsyth and ended up at the back of the net – a howler of an own goal for the visitors.

Just before the half-time whistle, it was clear that the squad were really starting to enjoy themselves. Carlo made an excellent run into the box only to round the keeper twice and thread a low pass for Spencer Brown to tap in for his first goal of the season.


As the second half commenced, the midfield continued to dominate the ball in the air winning almost every header. One of these small victories led to a great ball that seemed to bounce over the Threave back line straight into the path for Winters to grab his second as he shook off two defenders and lobbed it over the keeper to make it 4-0.

Ryan McStay and Jamie Mills came on to replace Spencer Brown and David Verlaque, with Martin Grehan replacing Declan Hughes minutes later.

The fun continued and the runs continued – Carlo made the Threave defence begin to hate football as he kept breaking straight through them and squaring perfect low passes into the box. One of which was almost a cracker when he laid a beautiful dummy to Winters who knocked the one-two back to Carlo’s path, but Rovers keeper Darren Holt was able to rescue it quickly.

On the 75th minute, Martin Grehan said hello to the Threave defence by easily beating two defenders and slicing a magical shot into the bottom right corner. They clearly wanted some revenge for that as minutes later, Threave made the most of a defensive mix up from BSC and grabbed a consolation thanks to as substitute Alex Henderson smashed the ball home.

Usually at this time in the report, I’d stop and tell you about Ross Smith’s yellow card for dissent, however this time, the in-form defender traded in the booking for a brilliant header from a Robbie Duncan corner to make it 6-1.

With only three minutes to go, Davie Winters was adamant he was getting that hat-trick and made the most of a lazy defence by creating space for himself and going for an absolutely stunning lob over the keeper once again that bounced off the crossbar and into the back of the net.