University of Stirling Report: BSC Glasgow Pass Test in Stormy Conditions

BSC Glasgow went in as the favourites after their 3-0 win at Kelty Hearts last weekend; however, no-one would have guessed it would be so easy, especially in the arctic conditions that battered the Indodrill during the 90 minutes.

There were absolutely no changes from last week’s team, which was no surprise really.

Just three minutes in, Carlo Pignatiello went down in the box and it was penalty expert, Tom Orr who stepped up and slotted it low to the keeper’s right. The shivering spectators only had two minutes to wait before the same two men converted another opportunity. A great ball forward from Carlo landed at Orr’s feet who took a page from Robbie McNab’s playbook and lobbed it over Uni’s John Allan to bag a second goal with only five minutes gone.

We also gained a fan thanks to the stormy conditions, as the assistant referee had to borrow a BSC hat from Stephen Swift just to keep his head in the game.

Stirling Uni didn’t manage many chances but when they did, Ryan Marshall was on hand to deal with them. Lewis Bonar almost pulled one back with a powerful strike just outside the box but Marshall palmed it away, just as he did from Bonar’s free kick just before half-time.


Carlo Pignatiello escaped the cold as Shaun Struthers replaced him for the restart. Struthers grabbed his first goal for the club after being on the pitch for three minutes when Orr fought past Stirling’s defence to square it to Struthers who simply had to tap it home.

A consolation goal finally came for the Uni side when they converted a corner thanks to the head of Dom Slattery. The response from BSC was a substitution, Tom Orr was able to hit the showers and warm up with Davie Winters taking his place up top.

There must’ve been something in the freezing wind at the Indodrill because Winters continued the luck of the substitutes when his strike slid under Allan and just over the line for make it 4-1. Struthers also managed another tidy assist when he squared a great low ball into the box that found Declan Hughes who smashed it in the top corner giving the keeper no chance.

Martin Grehan got in on the wet and windy fun when he curled a beautiful shot from just outside the box past Allan, slightly clipping the post on the way in. Skipper Ross McMillan came off for John Mitchell with fifteen minutes to go and not surprisingly, went straight to the showers, not even bothering to take his kit off. Who can blame him really?

Davie Winters almost managed another one or two but couldn’t catch Allan out in the last few minutes of an entertaining fixture. But in all honesty it was relief to the hardy band of supporters who had braved the conditions when the referee blew the full time whistle.