Dalkeith Thistle vs BSC Glasgow

BSC Glasgow returned to winning ways with a huge victory over East of Scotland League side, Dalkeith Thistle to progress into the next round of The SoccerShop South Challenge Cup.

Straight off the bat, a much-changed BSC struggled to find their feet on an unusual surface and both teams shared possession in the opening ten minutes. However, it didn’t take long for the chances to come in droves and the men in yellow were there to capitalise.

Despite not playing since the opening game of the season due to injury, Andy Monk returned in style with a hat trick in ten minutes! In the 13th minute, a header from Declan Fitzpatrick allowed Monk to smash a half volley into the back of the net from ten yards out.

Nine minutes later, a free-kick from Andy Geggan allowed Jamie Hamilton a shot on goal but Dalkeith keeper Shea Dowie parried the initial effort allowing Monk to get on the rebound and blast in once again. Only a minute passed and Monk found his third – with an assist from Ross Lyon, Monk’s original shot was well saved by Dowie but Monk recovered and hit home from a tight angle cementing a fantastic return to the team.

BSC continued to control the game at King’s Park and it began to show, that this was the kind of game the players needed after last week’s loss. In the 35th minute it was goal number four – a fantastic ball from Craig McCracken picked out Ross Lindsay on the left flank, a good cross in allowed Ross Lyon to put it away and add another goal to an already impressive tally.

Only five minutes passed before Andy Geggan decided he wanted a goal and let’s be honest, when that happens, you let him. A cross was cleared, but only into the path of Geggan who fired a low powerful strike past Shea Dowie to put BSC into a 5-0 lead at half-time.

Unfortunately, Alfie Agyeman pulled up after the fifth goal and hobbled back to the centre circle with Jamie Glasgow replacing him just before the whistle.


The game fizzled out just after the break with BSC players content and Dalkeith players unable to break through the BSC defence. A triple substitution just before the hour mark saw Andy Monk, Jamie Mills and Ross Lyon make way for Michael Anderson, Jamie Ballantyne and Darren Christie.

Frustration was definitely seeping in for Thistle players as shown through many scrappy challenges including an unnecessarily hard tackle on Christie and Michael Anderson effectively being wrestled to the ground.

The final goal of the game came in the 67th minute – another close ranger after a corner, Ross Lindsay took advantage of a fumble by Shea Dowie and smashed it in. 6-0 to BSC Glasgow!

Just before full time, Darren Christie seemed destined for a goal when he shook off every defender on his tail and into the box but his effort could only smash the side netting.